Don’t Buy Trip Insurance When You Only Have a Domestic (in the USA) Flight
If you have read TripInsuranceStore.com including this blog, you will see that I have no problem telling you when you should or should not get trip cancellation travel insurance.
What kind of a trip are you taking inside the USA?
- You you are flying inside the USA and your trip includes have more prepaid trip costs (cruise, tour, lodging of any combination or these), the answer is “Yes, get trip cancellation travel insurance”. You don’t want to lose all that money if you are forced to cancel or interrupt your trip.
- If your only prepaid trip cost is airfare, then don’t buy travel insurance. This advice includes not getting the Cancel For Any Reason coverage on the plane ticket.
- If you want trip delay, emergency transportation, medical, or some other coverage that travel insurance provides, the answer is “Yes, get trip cancellation travel insurance”. I still recommend you do not get the Cancel For Any Reason coverage on the plane ticket.
Why did I say to not get trip cancellation travel insurance for choice # 2?
The short answer is that it’s likely your Airline Ticket’s Contract of Carriage includes wording like “changes or cancellations to an itinerary may be made prior to departure” and “a Future Travel Credit will be issued …”.
Here’s the longer answer:
Someone from New York recently bought a trip cancellation travel insurance from us and is now forced to postpone her trip due to a conflict. She’s flying Spirit Airlines to Dallas to see her Mom, but it could have been any airline.
Now she wants to cancel her Spirit Airlines tickets. But, Spirit Airlines’ Contract of Carriage, doesn’t allow her to cancel her trip – she can only postpone her trip to a future date.
If you think about it, why would you want to insure your trip to see your Mom in Dallas? You have no other trip costs (assuming your Mom doesn’t charge you to stay with her) and it’s easy to re-use your plane ticket. Compare that to the time it takes to file a travel insurance claim.
The next thing you are probably thinking is “what should she do with her unusable policy?” I solved that yesterday by telling her we would cancel it in the Free Look period so she gets her money back.
From now on we will never advise anyone to buy a trip cancellation travel insurance policy for a US domestic trip with no other trip costs when they do not want any of the other benefits like medical, emergency transportation, trip delay.
Too busy planning your trip to research travel insurance?
As you are planning your trip you will realize how much you still have to learn about trip insurance. You are learning useful travel insurance information at TripInsuranceStore.com and are wondering when it will all click. We can help you. Call us at 1-888-407-3854 and we’ll help you, too.
Now, a word from our sponsor: TripInsuranceStore.com (the Most Exclusive, Informative & Friendliest Travel Insurance Comparison Site)
- Save your time & money with 6 pre-screened companies (you don’t need 100+ travel or cruise insurance plans).
- You get personalized service from Deanna, Becky, Kim or Steve at 1-888-407-3854 (US, Canada). Or email.
- Do you want a relationship with your travel insurance supplier? If so, you’ll fit right in. If you’d rather not get to know us, you’ll still find everything you need to get the right travel insurance plan.
- Get side-by-side plan & price comparisons
- You get our exclusive Smile of Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee