I called my insurance company and asked what coverage I have if something happens outside the USA. They were clueless. Should call back and speak to someone else? Sally
First, get out your plan’s Description of Coverage to have handy. Next, call back your insurance company and ask this: “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?”
As silly as this sounds, this will work to find out how much your insurance pays. The main reason it works is because insurance company customer service reps often talk to complaining and / or whining people who are sometimes rude, too.
I (& many others) have found that using a silly example like this brings some much-needed humor into the customer service rep’s day. And, of course, anything you can do to brighten someone else’s life is a good thing.
Plus, asking “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?” reveals exactly what your deductibles and copays are.
If you just ask, “Am I covered by my insurance in the Caribbean?” and they say “Yes”, that tells you nothing of any value.
No matter what answer the rep gives you, ask them to show you where in your plan’s Description of Coverage they are finding the answer for your future reference.
While you’re on the telephone with your insurance company, find out if they are Primary or Secondary to a travel insurance plan’s coverage.
Once you know the answers to the above, you can make a better informed decision about which travel insurance plan to get. There’s no reason to pay extra for medical coverage you don’t need nor do you want to ignorantly expose yourself to a large uncovered medical claim. Click here to get travel insurance plan comparisons & prices.
I hope this makes sense. If you want the right travel insurance advice, call us at 1-888-407-3854 and we'll help you figure it all out.
Now, a word from our sponsor: TripInsuranceStore.com (Travel Forums' Most Recommended Travel Insurance Website)
- Save your time & money with 9 pre-screened companies (you don't need 100+ travel or cruise insurance plans).
- You get personalized service from Deanna, Becky, Kim or Steve at 1-888-407-3854. Or email us.
- Do you want a relationship with your travel insurance supplier? If so, you'll fit right in. If you'd rather not get to know us, you'll still find everything you need to get the right travel insurance plan.
- Get side-by-side plan & price comparisons
- You get our exclusive Smile of Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee