I called one of your competitors and was told that all the plans with the Cancel For Any Reason coverage require you to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to your departure. Is this true?
They gave you the wrong information about the “cancel for any reason” insurance policies. It’s not a surprise to me, because, in my opinion, many travel insurance sellers do not understand exactly how the policies they sell work.
The correct answer you should have received regarding the latest time you can cancel your trip under the “cancel for any reason” option is this:
“Some plans require you to cancel your trip at least 48 hours prior to your departure. But others require you to cancel your trip at least 2 days prior to your departure.”
Those deadlines may sound the same, but they are not. Here’s an example based on a Friday at 9:00 am departure date & time:
- A plan with the 48 hour rule requires you to cancel all your trip arrangements not later than 8:59 am of the previous Wednesday
- A plan with the 2 day rule requires you to cancel all your trip arrangements not later than 11:59 pm of the previous Wednesday
Trust me when I tell you I’ve seen many examples of where those extra hours have made a difference between someone having a covered claim or not.
- The plans with the 2 day rule plan are the MH Ross Bridge and Complete, Travelex Max and TravelSafe Classic Plus
- The plans with the 48 hour rule are: Travel Guard Gold, Travel Guard Platinum and Travel Insured Plus.
I hope this makes sense. If you want the right travel insurance advice, call us at 1-888-407-3854 and we'll help you figure it all out.
Now, a word from our sponsor: TripInsuranceStore.com (Travel Forums' Most Recommended Travel Insurance Website)
- Save your time & money with 9 pre-screened companies (you don't need 100+ travel or cruise insurance plans).
- You get personalized service at 1-888-407-3854. Or email us.
- Do you want a relationship with your travel insurance supplier? If so, you'll fit right in. If you'd rather not get to know us, you'll still find everything you need to get the right travel insurance plan.
- Get side-by-side plan & price comparisons
- You get our exclusive Smile of Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee